Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Yes! He's an indoor cat!

     Alright for starters, it's 9 Celsius outside and that just makes me want to go for a walk. I took my cat out and the smokey cool air is beautiful. Not to mention the trees which are also amazing. Zim is slowly taking to walking around his new area, but he always seems happier on the way back home. Yes, I take my cat for walks. An important tip here is that:

                  1. He needs a collar with his name, my phone number, my name, but most importantly his microchip number. This is actually not standard for cats to have microchips and collars, but it is exceedingly necessary to keep him or her safe.
                  2. Lift your cat over the threshold of your house when you go and come back. Don't let the cat walk out by themselves or you'll find that they'll go for the door when you do. If you are the keeper of the door they won't. This is if you have an indoor cat.

     I have found that I have to have to explain why my rules are what that are conversations with different people in order to ensure that my cats rules are followed. This would seem pretty simple, but due to cultural differences has lead to confusion.

     Yes, my cat stays indoors. Unless we go for walks.

  1.            But why?! They ask cats are meant to roam free and love the outdoors! Let him out (>.<")


      • Well yes I say, feral cats do. So do bears, hedgehogs, and foxes, other (domestic or feral) cats, and dogs. (Norway) So do actually feral cats and domestic ones roaming around, roaming dogs, domestic outdoor dogs, crows that are bigger than cats, and other assorted goodies. (Japan) 
      • Along with that FIV and feline lukemia is rampant among your feline population that is so happily "getting wild" in the middle of cities and urban areas. (Japan)  Like I previously said, FIV and lukemia among cats is easy to spread, not to mention fights and other injuries sustained from simply dealing with other animals(Norway)
      • Have I mentioned the cars? Oh yes, There are cars driving around at all hours of the day and night like a racetrack about 10 second from my front door. (Japan)  Oh yes, the cars too. About one minute away, lots of cars driving around. (Norway)
      • Along with being healthier, less injured, and still being able to get plenty of exersise indoors (and if your cat isn't you need to fix that yourself by playing with them or buying climbing apparatuses, ect.) Studies have shown that indoor cats on average live several years more than outdoor cats. That part isn't such a surprise to me. 
    2.             But cats love to eat indoor food! (O.O) Why are you throwing shoes at me?
      • Let me be clear here. I have worked tirelessly with my cat, training him to ignore human food. At most he sniffs it and leaves it alone. I don't push that though, so by offering human foods you are attempting to teach him bad habits that I've worked so hard not to have. 
      • You know those cats that jump up on the table and are eating your food the second you turn away? Yea, that's what happens when you teach a cat to eat human food. Remember to lock the fridge and put away all foods left on counters. 
      • My cat is 6kg (13lbs.). A very large strong cat. He can open sliding doors and push open anything that is not super sealed. I'm lucky he hasn't figured out how to grab cabinets open yet. You honestly think Your foods would be safe?
      • As far as cheese and cream. Most adult cats are lactose intolerant. I have no desire to clean up after he gets sick everywhere. 
      • Many other regular household plants, herbs, and random foods will make your cat (and other animals) sick, send them to the hospital, or they might be poisonous. If you don't think chocolate right now you haven't done your homework. 
   You think these two simple rules would be easy, but many people seem to want to argue with me about them. Here are some things about my cat that everyone thinks isn't very cat-like. 

  • My cat loves showers (trained from kittency)
  • He sleeps at night (again trained)
  • He plays fetch (not sure I taught him that)
  • He like warm water (this is apparently strange for some reason)
  • He likes to go on walks with a harness and leash (that's taken effort)
  • He gets off things when he's told to 
  • We successfully have changed where we live about four times, and he's adapted just fine (different countries too)
  • He learned that kittens are just that, and human children are fragile and to be patient with them. (carefully trained and monitored) He's still learning to be patient when they rub him the wrong way.. literally. 
     Yes he does many things that are strange for cats, but he's still my cat. I just wish I wouldn't have to keep explaining myself to everyone. 


     And now, the picture of the post: 


Zim and beautiful lace knit scarf, taken by Lucy and knitted by her too!
     

             

No comments:

Post a Comment