Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Kitchens, food, and teatime

Kitchens!

         Ok, so I talked a bit about how in love I am with the farmer's market and the abundance of veggies, fruit, fruit products, and fresh.. everything! So I suppose I shouldn't squee about that more.

         Kitchens however are another thing. Lets take a moment to look at a kitchen in Japan. (where I was until I moved to Norway) Along with stovetops and counters all kitchens have a microwave/convection oven. The note here is even at it's largest the convection ovens are the size of large (burly) microwaves. They are used often and with zeal. Every convenience store all over the place asks if you'd like your food heated. Grocery stores often have a microwave just past the checkout. So microwaves everywhere.
         However if you want something baked, go to a bakery. There is the only way to find moderate sized breads, cookies, pastries, ect. Generally anything made at home is a mini from what anyone from the US thinks. (Portion sizes aside here) So with mini-cookies in tow, we turn to Norway.
         Kitchen things abound here, fresh food, herb plants in every grocery store for easy pickup (In Japan I had to go to a special arboretum just to get a basil plant for comparison). In groceries there are many pan cook options, but not so many microwave meals. Why you ask? In the age of the microwave? Well (in my limited experience so far, three homes) I haven't run across a microwave in basic homes. Very nice stovetops and standard (US and Norwegian standard I suppose, looking at the appliance) ovens.
         Can I tell you how happy I am to have an oven around? The option of making cookies and brownies is great and wonderful. Those and land of lakes hot chocolate (it is the right time of year). Oh wait where was I? Ah, ovens. Yes "standard" size.

  On "standard" Asian foods.....

         On finding Asian food here in Norway. It's interesting that Indian food is so different here than in Japan. Generally both are made by people from that region. I suppose the only explanation is that there is a regional difference in the food and that certain regions of curries became popular here vs. Japan. It's a bit disconcerting to have my friends tell me that various Indian food is "standard", what that really means is that it's "standard" for most Indian restaurants here in Norway. Not to be confused with "standard" all over the world. Aka, I cannot find my wonderful dal makani or mutter paneer here. Oh well.
         Moving onto Chinese food. I find it quite similar to most Chinese that I've had in the US, although Chinese food in Japan is a totally different set of dishes to choose from. Perhaps that's coming from different regions too. Ramen is also quite common and popular, which was originally from China. That's of course impossible to find here in Norway. Ramen here = cup ramen, or college ramen.
        Japanese food is the same as it is in the US. If you can't cook it yourself, there is a likelyhood that you haven't actually had Japanese food. Sushi of course is everywhere, but I'm not counting that. Nori-maki of various sorts (same as the US) is rampant. I'm not a fan of sushi, although straight sashimi (meat cuts only) are often quite refreshing. It's hard to come back to places that pay exuberant amounts of money for fish and rice, sometimes not even fish, just veggies or cheese (O.o). So to get a good yakisoba, udon (of any kind), soba(in any fashion), tonkatsu, oden, or anything of the sort it requires having a good cookbook (which luckily I gave a set of fantastic bilingual cookbooks to a friend, I will tell you the name soon) and an Asian market/Japanese market.

Teatime

        I'm pretty notorious for telling people that (strangely like sushi.. which I don't dislike, I just don't fancy it often as other people I know..) "You can't say that you don't like teas if you have only had one. That lipton stuff doesn't cut it."
        Whether it's black, green, herbal, white, medicinal, comforting, or just plain morning tea, I love them all dearly for their differences and the fact that they bring me interesting tasting beverages. Warm or cold, these teas fit a taste for almost everyone. Granted after trying many teas, you may still not be convinced about how great it is, but you should at least give them a shot.
         So I'm used to green tea, many varieties, but we'll stick to the basics. I'm often a fan of sencha, or a variety with mint (very refreshing and good for your stomach). Now the catch here for me is that outside of Japan I have a really hard time finding sugarless (or any other sweetener) green tea, or green tea drinks.
        Previously at a starbucks I made them remake my drink several times, because they kept putting melon syrup in my matchafrappa. The US version is sickly sweet to me, and unfortunately in with that sugar you lose the bitter green tea mixed with the smooth creamy frappa taste. I cannot abide sugar in my green teas as they are supposed to be a bit bitter, to have it sweet is flipping the whole notion on it's head. Also I do not find it as refreshing as a solid cup of green tea. Sadly this means that any cold green tea (with no sweetener) I will get I have to make on my own. I honestly have no idea how sugar in that became a hit, but then again I am in love with Earl Grey with milk and sugar. I've been told that were I to do that in England, I'd be kicked out on principle. Ah well.


        Different places I recommend to check out the teas: (these stores sell loose leaf teas, prepare yourself!)
           Norway: Palais du te. Blue london (classic, earlgrey-ish, very smooth)
                      There are many good teas here.
           US: Teavana. Javana Mate (mild coffee flavor, really good morning tea, especially if coffee is too strong)
                                 Samurai Chai (cinnamon and other spices, warm, comforting tea)
           Japan: Lupicia. Champagne Rose (light, great aroma, subtle rose flavor)
                                   Any of the green teas (huge variety of them), also the fruit flavored teas are quite nice.

What am I drinking right now? Earl Grey Creme (teavana).
Listening to Kimbra: Vows. Extremely good cd.

Till the next time. Oh and here is your random picture of the post:


Sunset near Aker Brygge

       

No comments:

Post a Comment